Friday, 30 January 2015

MC: Post Production

In previous lessons we have been focusing on editing our sequence together and not worrying about sound yet. We had to use the scissor tool to cut clips in half in order to intercut our work. We also had to alter the colouring of some clips in order for the lighting in each scene to match. We did this by using the Colour Balance (RBG) effect and dragged that onto the clip we wanted to change the colouring of. We then played around with the balance of each colour and mostly turned the red up and the green down until we got the colouring we were happy with. Once the majority of editing was done, I decided to spend one of my frees, lunchtime and the lesson on getting the sound right in our sequence.

On Tuesday 27th January, I focused on getting most of the sound into our opening sequence. To start with, I placed in our original song choice of Sunshine, Lollipops and Rainbows by Lesley Gore into the soundtrack bar on the timeline. I then altered the volume of the soundtrack to a level I thought worked best. I then added in a underlying horror drone which lasts throughout the sequence. This was to make the opening have a lot more of a horror, tension building feel about it.
Next, I thought it would be a good idea to add in some tension building, volume increasing sounds every time we see the antagonist. I found these sounds on freesound.com and added them onto a different audio layer. We decided these sounds work best if they are faded in and out each time so we right clicked on the sound that we dragged into the timeline and went onto 'fade' and chose the 'fade in audio' and 'fade out audio' options.

 
Then I got some more sounds off freesound.com to add drag and drop into another audio layer for some diegetic sounds. As shown below, here I placed the sound of a knife being picked up and aligned it with the video. This makes the scene more tense and exciting to watch.

 
Finally, after listening back to the whole sequence, I decided there needed to be some more diegetic sounds throughout the sequence so I went back and altered the sounds that originally came with the clips we filmed. This added a sense of realism to the sequence and again made it more interesting to watch and listen to. I altered the sounds of it by making some clips silent as the sounds within them had no relevance to the action going on so I turned the volume of these clips right down by clicking on the properties button and dragging the volume bar right down. Then I listened for the clips I thought the sound should be kept in on and then altered the volume of these sounds to the volume I thought was most effective. 

 
In our next lessons, we will start to add in titles as that is the final thing we need to do to complete our opening sequence. 

No comments:

Post a Comment